As a RYA British Youth Sailing Recognised Club FPSC offers :
- Established development pathways to take young sailors from their first RYA Training Course right through to being top class adult sailors.
- Class-specific coaching and racing every Saturday throughout the year.
- Summer and Winter Racing Programmes in RYA recognised Junior and Youth classes.
Youngsters normally learn to sail in Optimists and Toppers through the Club’s RYA Training Centre; or for those with disabilities which preclude this then specially adapted Hansas with the Sailability Youth Group. Once they have achieved RYA Stage 2 or demonstrated equivalent ability they can progress into the Club’s Junior & Youth race coaching programme where they have a choice of :
- Cadet – double-handed with spinnaker; age 8 to 16
- RS Tera – single-handed with Mini, Sport and Pro rig sizes; age 8 to 15
- Laser 4.7 – single-handed; age 14 – 16
- Laser Radial / Standard – single-handed; age 15 upwards
- Hansa 303 and Hansa 2.3 – adapted for those with disabilities; age 10 upwards.
These RYA Recognised Pathway Classes all provide competition from club to International Championship level, and FPSC has hire boats available for young sailors to try out and get started in.
For Youth sailors who prefer double-handed sailing the Club also offers opportunities to train and race in RS200s (asymmetric spinnaker) and Larks (symmetric spinnaker). Both classes provide top-quality racing (and fun!) at Frensham and nationally.
FPSC’s young sailors have a fantastic record of gaining selection to RYA National Squads and of achievement at RYA, National and International Championships. Many develop into top-level adult sailors – just like those pictured below – and, even better, still sail at Frensham and help to coach the Club’s current youngsters !
With heading at 100 Junior and Youth Sailors participating in coaching groups on a Saturday the Club hums – do come and join in !
'Best place to learn about what the wind does'
'Couldn't be better for youngsters to start racing'