Teras at Frensham
The Frensham RS Tera fleet sails every Saturday throughout the year. Normally two groups are run: a Development group which progresses the sailing skills of the children on from RYA Youth Level 2 and focuses on boat handling and general sailing skills; and an Advanced group which concentrates on racing skills. Most of the Teras at Frensham use the Sport rig, although some of the older children use the Pro rig. Sailors from the Frensham fleet have had plenty of success over the years, both at National and International level and progressing to further successes in other boats.
Training starts with a short briefing followed by a training session on the water which lasts for around 2 hours. In the winter series the briefing is at 10:00 and in the summer it is at 10:30 (unless there are RYA training courses taking place in which case it starts at 11:30).
For those keen and able to race, there is an afternoon club race series on Saturday afternoon in which the children often compete, offering a good and friendly introduction to club racing for them.
2019 Tera Open Meeting
For further information please speak to the Class Captain: Iain Soars
- Will Stratton-Brown - 1st Under 10, Tera UK National Championships 2019
- Finlay Lomas-Clarke - 1st, Tera Southern Area Championships 2019
- Tristan Ahlheid - 3rd, Tera Southern Area Championships 2019
- Ollie Stratton-Brown - 4th, Tera Start of Season Championships 2019
About the RS Tera
The RS Tera is a single person sailing dinghy geared towards young sailors. Simlar to the Optimist only more responsive and more fun to sail. The boat is a one design so there is not the case where you have to pay more for a competitive boat.
The RS Tera is an ISAF International Class and an RYA Recognised Junior Class.
The hull is essentially a modern skiff design – pointed front flaring to flat bottomed, hard chine after-sections. It is very stable and has a variety of rig options so is well suited to a range of ages and weights.
There are three sail options (all use the same spars) :
- Sport - 3.7m2 Dacron sail suitable for crew weight 30Kg and up. (Age approx: 7-13yrs)
- Pro - 4.8m2 Mylar sail suitable for crew weight 40Kg and up (Age approx: 12-17yrs)
- Mini - Equivalent to a Sport sail with two reefs. Often used by very light helms or in strong winds